It's Day Three on the Elimination Diet.
This needs to be my new way of eating over the next 3 to 6 weeks.
Today is not going well.
What can I be thankful for?
I'll end today's post with thankful thoughts. Right now, I need to blog through this.
When I woke up this morning, my tummy grumbling, my first thoughts went to my delicious-tasting homemade yoghurt that is simply sitting in the fridge. Waiting. It's on the "foods to exclude" column. Does it really have to be so? How can I part with my dear friend, my favourite breakfast, the one thing I love to have nearly every morning? And perhaps that is why it needs to be eliminated. Perhaps yoghurt is among the culprits of this revolt going on inside of me.
My next throughts turned to this:
Looks yummy, doesn't it? It wasn't. Quinoa, peaches, blueberries, walnuts and Roger's Golden Syrup (it's made from cane sugar so maybe it's safe?). Ugh. I cannot stomach quinoa again. Perhaps only if it's made by my oldest sister. She seems to know the trick. However, I'll have to think of something if I'm to rid myself of this horrid, throbbing, headache. Maybe I'll have yoghurt anyway. Sigh. Maybe not. Fortunately, we have a bowl full of fresh peaches, which combined with almonds and blueberries will certainly make a nutritious breakfast.
It worked.
Until after lunch.
I made it through lunch. I even resisted these:
Hubby's cheese fries smothered in melted mozza cheese, bacon, jalepenos and ranch dressing.
I was so pleased with myself. My family was so pleased with me.
Until Mr. Pumpkin Pie made his appearence:

(oh - this one's just a representation - I had to pull the pic from google images)
It was at my father-in-law's house this afternoon. I took one tiny taste, only one tiny taste. It was soooo yummy. And then it happened. My son offered me his as he'd has his fill (can one really have their fill of pumpkin pie? How absurd!). So I took one more tiny taste, and then another until his pie was gone! How did that happen!?? However, in my defense, I did leave the crust (which was homemade, by the way) and did not eat the whipped cream.
And so we came home. I feeling discouraged at the prospects of having to part ways with foods I oh-so-love and live for come Thanksgiving. Is there such a thing as a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free pumpkin pie that is still somewhat tasty?
I realize this may not be forever, this new way of eating (or not eating). Coconut oil replaces butter in a rather yummy way and there may be some faves I can include down the road.
By the way - have I mentioned I can be kind'a a drama-it's-the-end-of-the-world-queen?
So what am I thankful for? I am thankful for the breath and life God has given me. I am thankful for my family who supports me. I am thankful for friends who love me. I am thankful that tomorrow is A Brand New Day and my body is Never Beyond Repair as I look to the Maker of the Mountains I Can't Climb and the Healer of the Hurts I Hold Inside (confused? check out my post the day before yesterday). In the meantime, here is another song for you to enjoy. May you find encouragement in your storms of life from the Giver of Life.
Blessings,
SMC


3 comments:
I'm just getting the scoop on your new focus here, Steph. Good steps to take. You'll find in time that an improvement in health makes a great reinforcer to counteract the difficulties. Your approach to tackle this publicly is a good fit for you.
And what's more, I'm pretty sure I can tackle cooking for you when you come!
Its ok, today is a new day. Much love to you.
Thanks, ladies! ;)
Post a Comment